Sunday 14 October 2018

Bats and Betty's Birthday Card

Simon Says Stamp had a good challenge this week and it really made me think!  The challenge was to portray your local cityscape.  I live in a town of about 20,000 people and some of the buildings are really old - the courthouse was built in 1726 and there are still a couple of the historic buildings left.  What we don't have is a skyrise!  I can't think of any building in the town that's more than 2 storeys high.  
So then I started looking round Belfast at some of the old buildings and some of them are fabulous - surprisingly quite a few survived the Blitz during WW2 when Belfast was badly bombed  and The Troubles when we spent all our time trying to blow each other up!  But even in Belfast there aren't that many 'high rise' buidlings though the new ones are definitely getting taller! Me, I like my feet on the ground, no sky scrapers for me!  But thanks SSS, for making me look up!

Anyway, enough waffle!  I used an MFT Town die and my bats are oldies from The Alley Way Stamps.  I die cut and embossed my moon, but its a wee bit lost in my cloudy sky.  I do have a 'happy Halloween' stamp somewhere in my stash, but at the minute it's not to be found.

This one uses some of my recent purchases from Swedish House Crafts - the pretty heart die and the yummy cake.  I added some blue to the background but it doesn't show up the best here.  Cupcake coloured with watercolour pencils, sparkle added to the icing and clear gloss/glitter to the tiny stars; popped up on foam pads.  I used one of the little hearts from the die cut as an extra embellishment.

10 comments:

cheiron said...

Such a cute card and those bats are adorable! Thank you so much for playing along with us in the Citiscape challenge over at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog this week :)

Cheryl W. said...

Ooooooh, I love both these cards! Your bats are hilarious--their big eyes make them look really friendly. I like your cityscape. We have a few skyscrapers here in Minneapolis. But then we have 2 million people in the metro area, so skyscrapers are pretty much a given with that population. Your cupcake definitely looks yummy. Love the heart die-cut behind it, too. It's nice that you're getting some good use out of that die

Flo said...

I love the star accents on Betty’s card—pretty!

Di said...

Two fabulous cards Lynne! Love the cityscape and the snippets cupcake looks good enough to eat.

Hugs

Di xx

Crafting Andy said...

Both cards lovely. But how cute are those Bats. Thanks for joining us at Cute Card Thursday. Hugz Andrea.

Anna-Karin said...

Such gorgeous cards Lynne! I love your townscape card and the story you wrote about looking at buildings at home and in Belfast. Gorgeous cloudy sky and such fun bats. Thank you so much for joining us at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!!

CraftyLyn said...

Lovely cupcake card,clean and simple,thanks for joining us here at Cutie Pie challenge Lyn DT x. PS your little westie is gourgous.

Laura S. said...

Love your cityscape card. Congrats on SSS Spotlight. Your pup Ruby is so precious. Hugs, Laura.

Marina said...

Those bats are so funny with their vampire teeth and googly eyes - I love the clouds too. Thanks for joining The Library

Jo Ann said...

Wonderful card inking on the background of your first card and awesome design on the cupcake card. We are so blessed you link your artwork with us last Challenge at Word Art Wednesday. There still a few days left for you to join us again in our current Challenge. Leaving you with the inspiration of the Scripture in 1 Thessalonians 2:13 which says, "And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as a human word, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is indeed at work in you who believe." Have a blessed day!

JO ANN
https://jatterburycreations.blogspot.com